We got the new baby chickens in February, and Jaeden was so excited. Every day he'd want to go see the "chickies" and some mornings, he'd wake up and his very first word wasn't mom, dad, breakfast, or even up... it was "CHICKIES!!!!"
We got the coop a little while later, and Jaeden was in love... he was convinced that it was a little house for him. In fact, we had to work hard every single day to teach him that it was for the chickies, not for Jaeden.
Well, we failed. One night while Renee and I were cleaning up the basement, we let Jaeden play in the back yard. At one point, I realized that Jaeden hadn't come in to show me any new rocks for about 15 minutes, so I got worried. I went outside and couldn't see him anywhere. That made me quite concerned, so I started calling his name. Much to my relief and consternation, he quickly made his wherabouts known: he was inside the chicken coop. I tried hard (and failed) not to laugh, because he wasn't supposed to be inside the coop, but dang, how'd he get there? The entrance is tiny! And, he was just so darn proud of himself! It wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't covered from head to toes in chicken poo. Yuck.
Grandma and Grandpa Clark came to visit last weekend for Easter, and Jaeden was in absolute Heaven. He hasn't had so many people in one house paying attention just to him in his whole life. He would walk around the house looking for "Grama" or "Grampa" (who he also sometimes called Clowmet... who knows where in the world he got that from) and just laugh and laugh and laugh when he found them.
While they were here I made a surprising discovery: Jaeden can read!!! Full on, complete recognition of words! I found this out because he has little flash cards that Renee got for him a while back, and when I was moving them, apparently the word on the top card (head) was at such an angle that he could see it, and said "head" while grabbing his head. Sure enough, as I flipped through the cards, he knew about 90% of them, and said them without any hints or prompting. Wow, I'm a little worried about this... he is going to be way too smart for me, isn't he?
I'll have to get it on video for you guys to see next week. It's pretty unbelievably amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment