Renee and I are trying hard to return to our normal weights. No, we’re not anorexic; it’s just that we did a diet study for a diabetes center here in Boston. We started out for 3 months eating delivered meals of yummy Asian food, like this:
And ended up for the last 3 months eating fatty, gross, American pre-prepared food, like this:
It was a fun study, but I gained 24 pounds, and Renee gained 13 pounds, all in the 3 months of American food. So, we’re trying to get back to normal, but it’s slow… 24 pounds is a lot. Although it is convenient to be able to sit my plate on my belly when I watch tv!
My calling is incredibly fun, and although I joke about loving primary more than Sunday school, there is a good deal of truth to it. Have any of you ever seen that church movie, “out of the mouth of babes?” Well, I’d like to bear my testimony of the truthfulness of that movie! Kids say the absolute best things!! I absolutely love it! Don’t believe me? Well, here are some of the things we hear that make us laugh in primary:
Me: Good job, Neal! That’s right. You are so smart!
Leo: Na-uh! No! My dad says I’m the smartest one, so you have to say that to me!
Me: So does anybody know what’s in Utah that missionaries go to?
Leo: Grandmas!!!
Sister Frandsen: So this is Jesus, and he’s teaching people about drinking the sacrament… here they’re drinking wine, but we drink water…
Noah(sunbeam age): Oh. What’s wine?
Sister Frandsen: Um, it’s something that we don’t drink.
Noah: Oh, is it alco… alcho… Is it alcoholic?
Me: So who knows what elders are?
Aiden: Oh, I know! That’s my mom. She’s old. Plus she’s gonna have a baby (keep in mind she’s 8 weeks along at this point…)
Sister Frandsen: See, here is Jesus handing the cup to his disciples…
Noah: Oh! I saw this one… this was on Indiana Jones, and you have to drink from the right cup, or else you’ll turn into a monster and DIE.
(wow, sacrament must be fun for his parents…)
Andrew: I got a new baby brother last night. But he’s kinda gross.
Me: That’s not very nice to say! I bet you love your new baby brother!
Andrew: I do, but he’s gross. He decided to come out of my mom’s bum.
Anybody want to guess how many times I hide behind the chalk board so the kids can’t see me laughing? It’s great. Maybe that’s what I’ll have to blog about from now on. Or I guess I could always talk about my fish. All the babies grew up, and I sold them to the pet store owner. It was great. I’ve paid off the fish tanks, and all the fish, and all for doing something I LIKE to do anyway! This time, however, I decided I needed to build the fish store owners confidence… let him know I’ll return money that he gives us (at’s least that’s how I tried to sell it to Renee) so I spent it all on MORE fish. These ones are really cool though… they’re called Cardinal Tetras, and they are glow in the dark neon, like this: 
Guess you just have to be here to appreciate them. Here's what my tank looks like now:
The adoption process is still stagnant, but we’ve decided to move on anyway. We’re in the process of constructing an adoption site, as can be seen in the links on this page, although it’s still under construction. We’re also printing of several hundred cards to hand out to people, so if any of you are interested in helping us out in finding a child, or referring us to friends, please feel free to ask for some cards, and we’ll send some your way! Also, anyone reading, please be on the lookout at all times for us! We’re not picky, we’d just like to find our family soon! Our nieces and nephews will need more cousins, right?
5 comments:
Be careful about who reads your blog... we might end up with an LDS version of Indiana Jones, and I can't possibly imagine how that could be done well.
I'm so jealous of your fish... we need to talk Erin into getting a fish tank for our living room. We can get rid of the TV and put it there, right? Wait, what did I just say?
I better go splash some water on my face, it's obviously too early in the morning.
(I complained, so I'm duty bound to comment)
I generally rank blogs by how much stuff I find that I'd like to steal. So far yours ranks pretty high.
I've definitely decided to steal all your funny kid quotes and syndicate them--I especially like the 'Grandma's' quote.
I'm still vacillating on whether or not to steal your movie idea, if you can come up with a good sequel then it's a done deal.
Good luck on losing the poundage. Come to the Alumni Center gym and we'll commiserate.
Sheesh! I am definitely an American and I know it has been years since I ate any of the foods in your picture. Did you really have to eat that stuff as part of an average American diet? Good luck with those extra pounds. I hope you got paid REALLY well to do that study!
I'm glad your primary experience is so entertaining. Thanks for sharing the best moments. They made my afternoon.
Heather
Ohmygosh Renee, I just read your adoption site about how you two met and I can't believe it because my story is almost identical!!! Asi como hace la mama lo hace la hija! Except we got it in reverse order because you were married first, but whatever! I totally met my husband in the temple - only I was a little more riske (accent please) because I went up to him and in the celestial room no less. What were my words exactly? "Don't I know you?" That's right, I hit on him and in the temple. I had no idea that you 2 met the same way (almost) and started talking with the same cheesy line. (Matt, you and I can join a club for cheesy one-liners that worked!) Anyway, that's all for now. I enjoy your updates!
Hey we found your blog and it's great! I can't believe you guys gained that much weight! We Americans do eat like crap!
Post a Comment