Sunday, June 15, 2008

Home again, Home again...

Well, it sure is odd to be back in Massachusetts. We rolled in around 3:00 AM Saturday morning after a series of delays in our flights (which, amazingly enough, was due to weather in Boston – sunny, the Midwest – actually stormy, but what does that have to do with anything, and air-traffic control, all at the same time). I had forgotten how nice the west can be, particularly weather-wise. I feel especially bad for my brother James… he is serving as a missionary in New Jersey, and got the whole brunt of the weather. Renee and I lucked out BIG-time, however, because we left the same morning that the heat index in Boston was around 110°F. Ouch. Meanwhile, California was a nice, dry 70° all week long. Speaking of home in Boston, I don’t know if many of you have seen our apartment, so here is a picture of what we got to come home to:
We’re on the second floor, and I can practically hear some of you complaining about city apartments, but really, this place has the most amazing views ever! Don’t believe me? Well, consider that our windows are practically magic! One day, we open the blinds, and we see a blank wall. Another day, we see a window with shades. My favorite day, however, was when Renee opened the blinds to look out the window, and not 2 feet away was an old, obscenely LARGE-bellied man in boxer shorts, smoking a cigar, and staring at her from his window. Tell me that isn’t just enchanting! Needless to say, we don’t open our blinds anymore.

Disneyland was great fun, but to be honest, after The Price is Right, not even the Tower of Terror can produce the same “rush” that it used to. It was nice not to have to wake up at 3:00 AM for Disneyland. That meant that Renee didn’t have to bring pillows and blankets for the line like she did for The Price is Right (although I did make an IHOP run, bringing back takeout and hoping no one wanted to jump me for it). I had to laugh a little, because the rooms in the Disneyland hotel were decked out. There was glow in the dark fairy dust on the walls, and even a map of Disneyland on the TV stand. Despite being at a conference, I managed to have a bit of fun… I learned what it’s like to be on a teen movie. You know the scene: someone has to be in two places at the same time, and rather than being upfront, they try to be in BOTH places, constantly shifting back and forth until they’re caught. Well, I was supposed to be presenting a technical paper and listening to all of the other conference papers. But I mean, really! We were in Disneyland! I made a valiant attempt at going to conferences and not ditching too many sessions, but let’s be honest: that lasted for ONE (yes one) session. I would run back from the park and change into my dress clothes just in time to sit next to my advisor for the crucial sessions, only to run back to the park 1 hour later. Contrary to what the movies show, however, it can be done!! My paper got presented, and Disneyland met its equal (that is to say, I didn’t cry on any of the rides this time…)
We also had fun meeting with a friend of Renee’s, Jennifer Casady, and eating at the Rainforest CafĂ©. For those of you who don’t know, that place is a theme park in and of itself! It’s decorated like a rainforest, with little animatronics everywhere. Jennifer’s poor kids were so terrified of the robotic gorilla that we sat next to that they would scream when he’d make noise, and then eye it suspiciously for the following 10 minutes. Just when they were convinced that the ape was just “sleeping” as daddy told them, it made monkey noises and moved again, and the wide-eyed panic started all over again. Too bad we didn’t get a picture of that, eh? I then told Renee that if our kids were easily scared, being a dad was going to be really fun. Probably not the smartest thing to say, but I won't tell the social worker if you don't...
And, in honor of my habit of saying dumb things, I learned that even NOT talking can get me in trouble with my wife. I was stressing a bit this morning, because the primary kids were supposed to sing in sacrament meeting, I’d never even worked with them before, I didn’t know the song, and I had no idea how to do it! Renee looked over at me and said “That’s okay, at least you can carry a tune. I can’t even do that!” Okay, so since we were at FHE a couple of weeks ago and that turned out to be slightly true (just that one time… she was sick) I started to giggle. I didn’t agree with what she said… I knew that was deadly stupid, I just giggled. Next thing you know Renee was smacking and biting me at every opportunity! “Hey!” I protested, “I didn’t say anything!” But I WAS thinking it, and I guess that’s enough. Oh, the things I’m learning as a husband! One of these days I’ll get the hang of being married, eh?

This was me with my non-disclosure agreement, where I agreed not to tell what I won on The Price is Right. Do I look excited to you? Don't worry, it's all an act.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. And I love your apartment! Sounds like you had a great time in California and don't worry about skipping sessions, your dad did it all the time when I went to NPRA with him. Wives can be a good influence or a bad influence! We are glad you got home okay and we are super excited that you can come to the reunion!! HOORAY! See you in a couple of weeks.

Tania said...

Are you for sure coming to Utah?? Hope so. Let me know!

Unknown said...

15 Minutes of fame Huh Matt!!! Looking good, don't worry. I don't think I could have guessed prices very well either!

jennifer casady said...

And here I thought my kids were putting on their "brave faces" for you guys. No really, I was actually proud of them. When Rachael was about 1 or 2 Mike bought some red playground balls for the Young Men to play dodge ball with. Every time she saw one she screamed. That's why we have pet goldfish. They are contained and non-threatening.
So sorry you didn't win your dream car (ie. Ford Focus) on the Price is Right. I was rooting for you.

Jen and Joe. said...

we found you! EXCELLENT blog, you two!

Em Elle Oh said...

you blogged about california, and not about me and our fixed-but-will-never-materialize starmunchkin playing date? j/k. i looked at your adoption page and have a few suggestions. also maybe if you want to send me a couple cards i can give them to our bishop in case anybody in our ward or stake is considering adoption.