Monday, November 23, 2009

The True Joy of Parenthood


I used to think that love for your child came from sacrifice and the hard work of parenting-- having true charity where you honestly think of someone else's needs before yourself-- and that loving someone that much and so unconditionally was the true joy of parenthood. But this weekend, I found out that I was wrong.


This is the true joy of parenting:





Hearing your baby laugh for the first time. He first laughed Friday afternoon. It was just half a giggle amidst his babbling to me, but definitely a real laugh. He then proceeded to laugh more later in the day as I twirled him. Matthew and I spent all weekend finding out different ways to make Jaeden laugh. It is such a thrill to hear his giggle time and time again. There is no other sound like it in the world.

3 comments:

Brett said...

I absolutely agree, a baby's laugh is a thrilling sound. I can't wait to see that little guy tomorrow!!!

Oh, and you two as well. ;-)

Bronwyn James said...

When Henry was about six weeks old I got him to giggle for the first time, and I really thought my heart would explode with delight. I looked around me to see if it was even possible that I had witnessed this joyful moment all by myself. It remains one of the shining moments of my life. Thanks for sharing! He's so precious!

Sarah said...

Can't wait to meet him!