Sunday, September 20, 2009

Jaeden

So several people have asked why we named our boy Jaeden, so we thought we'd shed some light on the subject:

Jaeden was a name that Renee has always liked, and when she suggested it long ago, I agreed. This was before we knew Jaeden was coming, and certainly before we knew he was a boy -- I spent about 1.5 years thinking our baby was going to be a girl... oops. Now we have tons of baby girl clothes (and I admit, there were times that if Jaeden had a big diaper blow-out when all his blankets are dirty (we just got our washing machine yesterday), he does get a pink blanket occasionally... just don't tell him that when he gets older!) However, once we found out Jaeden was coming, I wasn't sure at all about the name for him. For one, I knew that I wanted my oldest son to have the middle name "J", just like me and my dad and my grandpa. I wasn't sure I wanted a son named J. J.
Well, sometime around the end of June, both Renee and I felt strongly prompted that his name was indeed Jaeden. After that, there was no more discussion, his name was simply Jaeden J!
The interesting part of this story comes, however, when Renee's mom was helping us pack our stuff right before Jaeden was born. She came in and said "Just so you know, I looked up what Jaeden means." She told us, and we were amazed. Jaeden means "...and God heard". What better name could there be for our little miracle than that? Truly God answered our pleas for a child with Jaeden, and so we feel like the name is absolutely perfect for him (even if he does end up calling himself J. J.)

3 comments:

Tina said...

Well, whatever he calls himself will sound adorable if it comes out of his cute little mouth. Especially J.J :)

It's great to hear your story.

Emily Hamilton said...

Ahhh...I love that story. His name is perfect, I really like it. He and Abby need to get together and play someday.

Aubrey said...

Congratulations Matt and Renee - Stuart and I were so excited to hear the news and wish you the best. He is a beautiful baby and I'm sure you are just soaking up this time. Unfortunately I will be out of town, so I won't see you when you visit Cambridge, but I hope to meet Jaeden in the near future.